Download and Install
RootsMagic 8 will run on the following operating systems.
- Windows 7 SP1 through Windows 11
- macOS Sierra (10.12) through macOS Monterey (12.0)
Select the appropriate download for your operating system here - http://rootsmagic.com/Download/RootsMagic-8/
Every download will run as RootsMagic Essentials until a license key is entered to unlock the full version. Each version of RootsMagic will run independent of each other. Previous versions of RootsMagic do not need to be uninstalled before installing RootsMagic 8. RootsMagic 8 and other versions can be run at the same time since they use different database files. If you later decide to uninstall an earlier version of RootsMagic it will not hurt your current RootsMagic 8 program.
Downloading RootsMagic 8
On the RootsMagic download page select:
For Windows: RootsMagic 8.0.0 Installer and the Place Database Installer
For Mac: RootMagic 8.0.0 Disk Image (the Place Database Installer is already included in the download)
The download process will vary from browser to browser. The download will typically be found in your downloads folder.
Installing RootsMagic 8 for Windows
- The User Account Control screen may open asking, “Do you want to allow the following program to make changes to this computer?” It is safe, since the publisher is RootsMagic, Inc.
- To install the program, click “Yes”.
- If you see a message like this, follow the instructions. Close RootsMagic and click “OK”.
- The RootsMagic Setup Wizard will open.
- The version number is displayed.
- Click “Next” to continue.
- After carefully reading the license agreement, click the option for “I accept the agreement”
- Click “Next” to continue.
- The “Select Destination Location” screen will open letting you know that RootsMagic will be installed into the following default folder on your computer: C:\Program Files (x86)\RootsMagic 8
- Click “Next” to continue.
- The “Select Start Menu Folder” screen lets you select the “Start Menu” folder for RootsMagic. Accept the default folder by clicking “Next”.
- Make your selections and click “Next” to continue.
- You are now ready to install your RootsMagic program. The “Ready to Install” dialog screen will show you where the program will be installed (Destination Location), the folder name on the Start Menu, and the Additional Tasks that you selected.
- Click “Install”.
- When the RootsMagic program is installed the “Completing the RootsMagic 8 Setup Wizard” screen will reopen. Click “Finish” to finalize the process and close the Wizard.
- After RootsMagic 8 is installed you can optionally install the Place Database Installer. This is used by geocoding, mapping, and the gazetteer. The Place Database Installer is available for download here - http://rootsmagic.com/Download/RootsMagic-8/
Installing RootsMagic 8 for Mac
If you see a message that says, “Image not recognized” or “The document ‘RootsMagic-8-Mac.dmg’ could not be opened. Disk Utility cannot open files in the ‘Disk Image’ format”. Click OK to close that message. Proceed to step 1. Otherwise, proceed to Step 4.
- Right click (or Ctrl+Click) on the RootsMagic-8-Mac.dmg file on the desktop or in File>Downloads.
- A new window will open. Click on “Get Info”.
- Find the “Open with” heading and choose “DiskImageMounter.app ”
- When the RootsMagic Applications screen opens, drag and drop the RootsMagic icon over to the blue “Applications” folder within this window.
- This will copy the RootsMagic app to the Applications folder.
- If you receive a message that says, "RootsMagic cannot be opened because the program’s identity cannot be confirmed", do the following to change your preferences.
- Click the black Apple icon in the upper left corner of your desktop, select System Preferences> Security and Privacy> General Tab > Unlock (click the lock to make changes).
- Login with your Apple password.
- Under “Allow apps to download from:”, select the option “Anywhere”.
- Click the lock again to lock this window.
- Drag and drop the RootsMagic icon over to the blue “Applications” folder again.
- To see the application, click on “Finder” on your Dock.
- Open your “Applications list” by selecting “Applications” from the left panel of the “Finder” screen.
- You can open the application by double clicking on the RootsMagic application or by clicking on the RootsMagic icon on your Dock.
Adding the RootsMagic shortcut icon to your Dock
- Open up your Finder window.
- Select “Applications” from the left panel.
- Find “RootsMagic” on the “Applications list”.
- Click on RootsMagic, hold the mouse button down, drag the icon to your Dock and release the click.
- Once the RootsMagic icon is on your dock, double click on the icon to open RootsMagic.
Enter your Registration Key and Register your Software
- If you have a key for this version of the program, select “RootsMagic 8 - Full Registered Version”
- If you want to try RootsMagic before purchasing, select, “RootsMagic Essentials – Free Version”.
- Enter your name and your registration key. The registration key must begin with RM8, make sure to include the dashes.
- Once you enter the key, the “Unlock” button will be active. Click “Unlock”.
- You may use the free version as long as you like. When you choose to upgrade to the full version, you can select “Purchase RootsMagic 8 Full Version” to purchase a key.
- If you have already purchased a key, select “Unlock RootsMagic 8 – Full Registered Version”. Enter your name and your key as previously described.
- After unlocking the program, you will be given the option to register your key. The advantages of registering are:
- Free technical support
- Discounts on future versions
- Free lookup if you lose your registration key
- Automatic notification of updates and upgrades
- You may register Online, by Phone or Later.
- Choose “Register Online” and click “Continue” to proceed to the registration screen.
- Fill in the form.
- Click “Register”.
- Should you ever need to retrieve your license key, go to, http://rootsmagic.com/Recover-Key/ or “Support” and click “Recover a Lost Product Key”. Your key will be emailed to the address on your registration.
Note: We respect your right to privacy. We will never sell your personal information to a third party. Please read our Privacy Statement to learn more about how we protect your right to privacy.
To learn about more about importing your data from an earlier version of RootsMagic or another program see Importing Data